Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > AYBS Central

AYBS Central For all things Are You Being Served!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM
BasilBJr BasilBJr is offline
Rightful Earl of Millstone
Member of the Board
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 2,538
My Mood:
Default

After giving this alot of thought, I believe that AYBS did not do anything that would qualify as jumping the shark. Characters evolving and cast changes, good or bad, are inevitable in any long running series. The basic premise of AYBS, the misadventures of the staff of a London department store, remained the same. The equivalent of jumping the shark would have been coming back for a new season, and finding the "In Business" episode of G&F, with little or no explanation as to how and why they were there.

Some comparisons were made with MASH. MASH jumped the shark when they switched from a comedy with dramatic elements, to a drama with comedic element. The cast changes were for the most part improvments: Potter was better than Blake, BJ was at least equal to Trapper, and Winchester was far better and more complex than Burns.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
coldtap coldtap is offline
Member of the Board
Member of the Board
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,437
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilBJr View Post
After giving this alot of thought, I believe that AYBS did not do anything that would qualify as jumping the shark. Characters evolving and cast changes, good or bad, are inevitable in any long running series. The basic premise of AYBS, the misadventures of the staff of a London department store, remained the same. The equivalent of jumping the shark would have been coming back for a new season, and finding the "In Business" episode of G&F, with little or no explanation as to how and why they were there.

Some comparisons were made with MASH. MASH jumped the shark when they switched from a comedy with dramatic elements, to a drama with comedic element. The cast changes were for the most part improvments: Potter was better than Blake, BJ was at least equal to Trapper, and Winchester was far better and more complex than Burns.
I agree, and very well said.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Red Shadow's Avatar
Red Shadow Red Shadow is offline
Member of the Board
Member of the Board
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 19,255
My Mood:
Default

There is some truth to that. AYBS was filmed over a 13 year period. People will age and mature, and any department store is going to have a lot of staff turnover/changes in such a time span. We (or at least, I) watch the show not thinking that some episodes were 10 or more years prior to the one I'm currently watching. Grace Brothers didn't exist in a vacuum.
__________________
I was in the navy...for a week or two.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
walleye117's Avatar
walleye117 walleye117 is offline
Member of the Board
Member of the Board
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 2,566
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow View Post
There is some truth to that. AYBS was filmed over a 13 year period. People will age and mature, and any department store is going to have a lot of staff turnover/changes in such a time span. We (or at least, I) watch the show not thinking that some episodes were 10 or more years prior to the one I'm currently watching. Grace Brothers didn't exist in a vacuum.

I do to for some reason it feels that Hand of Fate episode is a later episode and not a season 3 ep. To me also you can see from the customers dress style in the later episodes that they are dressed more like the 80's dress style. Plus I notice some of the dummys are wearing more modern clothing.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM
sonosun's Avatar
sonosun sonosun is offline
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Sunny Arizona
Posts: 61,668
Default

All of those ideas are very interesting.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Red Shadow's Avatar
Red Shadow Red Shadow is offline
Member of the Board
Member of the Board
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: central Illinois
Posts: 19,255
My Mood:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye117 View Post
I do to for some reason it feels that Hand of Fate episode is a later episode and not a season 3 ep. To me also you can see from the customers dress style in the later episodes that they are dressed more like the 80's dress style. Plus I notice some of the dummys are wearing more modern clothing.
__________________
I was in the navy...for a week or two.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.