Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > AYBS Central

AYBS Central For all things Are You Being Served!

Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM
Rightful Earl of Millstone
Member of the Board

My Mood:

After giving this alot of thought, I believe that AYBS did not do anything that would qualify as jumping the shark. Characters evolving and cast changes, good or bad, are inevitable in any long running series. The basic premise of AYBS, the misadventures of the staff of a London department store, remained the same. The equivalent of jumping the shark would have been coming back for a new season, and finding the "In Business" episode of G&F, with little or no explanation as to how and why they were there.

Some comparisons were made with MASH. MASH jumped the shark when they switched from a comedy with dramatic elements, to a drama with comedic element. The cast changes were for the most part improvments: Potter was better than Blake, BJ was at least equal to Trapper, and Winchester was far better and more complex than Burns.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:24 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasilBJr View Post
After giving this alot of thought, I believe that AYBS did not do anything that would qualify as jumping the shark. Characters evolving and cast changes, good or bad, are inevitable in any long running series. The basic premise of AYBS, the misadventures of the staff of a London department store, remained the same. The equivalent of jumping the shark would have been coming back for a new season, and finding the "In Business" episode of G&F, with little or no explanation as to how and why they were there.

Some comparisons were made with MASH. MASH jumped the shark when they switched from a comedy with dramatic elements, to a drama with comedic element. The cast changes were for the most part improvments: Potter was better than Blake, BJ was at least equal to Trapper, and Winchester was far better and more complex than Burns.
I agree, and very well said.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

There is some truth to that. AYBS was filmed over a 13 year period. People will age and mature, and any department store is going to have a lot of staff turnover/changes in such a time span. We (or at least, I) watch the show not thinking that some episodes were 10 or more years prior to the one I'm currently watching. Grace Brothers didn't exist in a vacuum.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow View Post
There is some truth to that. AYBS was filmed over a 13 year period. People will age and mature, and any department store is going to have a lot of staff turnover/changes in such a time span. We (or at least, I) watch the show not thinking that some episodes were 10 or more years prior to the one I'm currently watching. Grace Brothers didn't exist in a vacuum.

I do to for some reason it feels that Hand of Fate episode is a later episode and not a season 3 ep. To me also you can see from the customers dress style in the later episodes that they are dressed more like the 80's dress style. Plus I notice some of the dummys are wearing more modern clothing.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

All of those ideas are very interesting.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye117 View Post
I do to for some reason it feels that Hand of Fate episode is a later episode and not a season 3 ep. To me also you can see from the customers dress style in the later episodes that they are dressed more like the 80's dress style. Plus I notice some of the dummys are wearing more modern clothing.