Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > AYBS Central

AYBS Central For all things Are You Being Served!

Old 10-21-2017, 07:10 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg WibblyWobbly View Post
I've had arguments with others on the board as to where this phrase comes from. This morning in my travels I came across something that backs up my notion.

I knew the Fonzie thing. I wouldn't have argued with you, Greg!

But that bit about the show still lasting seven years applies to AYBS as well. Both shows still had enough authentic moments for the original fans to hang in there, hoping for a return to the good old days, and of course new fans would come along who didn't know what they were missing.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtap View Post
I knew the Fonzie thing. I wouldn't have argued with you, Greg!

But that bit about the show still lasting seven years applies to AYBS as well. Both shows still had enough authentic moments for the original fans to hang in there, hoping for a return to the good old days, and of course new fans would come along who didn't know what they were missing.
.................................................. .............................
Old 10-22-2017, 06:33 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Very good point, coldtap!
Old 10-23-2017, 06:24 AM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

when Old Mr. Grace took over and then disappeared also i wonder if they were running out of stories? for example in the episode - Gambling Fever Mr. Harman referred to the cameras as Big Brother
Old 10-23-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stableforth View Post
when Old Mr. Grace took over and then disappeared also i wonder if they were running out of stories? for example in the episode - Gambling Fever Mr. Harman referred to the cameras as Big Brother
Big Brother refers to George Orwell's book 1984 written in 1949 in which everyone has a screen in their home that the government uses to communicate with them. The people don't know that the government is watching them through those screens.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:37 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosun View Post
Big Brother refers to George Orwell's book 1984 written in 1949 in which everyone has a screen in their home that the government uses to communicate with them. The people don't know that the government is watching them through those screens.
Like right now when you see those tiny cameras in your TV screens keeping an eye out for you.
.................................................. .............................
Old 11-07-2017, 11:45 AM
An aura what is purple with white stripes
Member of the Board

Quote:
Actually, the inhabitants of Oceania are quite aware that the government watches them via the telescreens. For just one example, protagonist Winston Smith is berated by the instructress of the morning "Physical Jerks" exercises, for not being sufficiently enthusiastic.

I envision the Physical Jerks instructress as the evil twin sister of Amanda Barrie's character, Mr. Humphries' ballet-dancing friend.

- E.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:17 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Only with an eye patch and goatee
Old 11-10-2017, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen525 View Post
Actually, the inhabitants of Oceania are quite aware that the government watches them via the telescreens. For just one example, protagonist Winston Smith is berated by the instructress of the morning "Physical Jerks" exercises, for not being sufficiently enthusiastic.

I envision the Physical Jerks instructress as the evil twin sister of Amanda Barrie's character, Mr. Humphries' ballet-dancing friend.

- E.

I read the book 1984 in the 60's. I ought to reread it.

Last edited by sonosun; 11-10-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:

I read the book 1984 in the 60's. I ought to reread it.

It seems so.
Old 11-11-2017, 01:30 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Old 11-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsen525 View Post

- E.
I was aware that the Party communicated through the Screens to the inhabitants but I assumed Winston Smith had somehow discovered on his own that Big Brother was indeed watching everyone all of the time. In reality, wait a minute this is fiction, Winston Smith in the first chapter knows already that Big Brother is always watching you. Everyone therefore must have known. Winston seems to have had a lapse when he rented a room without a screen in it.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Bathroom Fittings
Bathroom Fittings

My Mood:

I think if the retirement / store closing would have occurred right away during series 10 and the show would have segued into AYBSA? It could have continued for quite a while and get more seasons... AYBSA? became really refreshing with new location and characters with nods to the old show. I really enjoy the 2 seasons of AYBSA? more than the last few seasons of AYBS?
Old 11-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I think we all have enough work experiences that something could be used as a AYBS story. For instance at my old place we had a saying " The Walls have eyes" The supervisor always was looking thru the hole in a partial wall that separated the welding bays from Milling and Drills. He would stare at people to see if he could catch them doing something wrong.

I could see Peacock doing that. LOL. I don't see how they could have run out of stories? The writers just didn't want to bring in more talent for writing.

Last edited by walleye117; 11-28-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 03:52 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrm1701 View Post
I think if the retirement / store closing would have occurred right away during series 10 and the show would have segued into AYBSA? It could have continued for quite a while and get more seasons... AYBSA? became really refreshing with new location and characters with nods to the old show. I really enjoy the 2 seasons of AYBSA? more than the last few seasons of AYBS?
Interesting.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:36 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
I think if they would have known that Series 10 was to be the last that you idea would have been great. A nice set up to AYBSA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye117 View Post
I think we all have enough work experiences that something could be used as a AYBS story. For instance at my old place we had a saying " The Walls have eyes" The supervisor always was looking thru the hole in a partial wall that separated the welding bays from Milling and Drills. He would stare at people to see if he could catch them doing something wrong.

I could see Peacock doing that. LOL. I don't see how they could have run out of stories? The writers just didn't want to bring in more talent for writing.
I agree.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:46 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Good idea! And they wouldn't all have been so depressingly old.

They could have had Peacock and Rumbold's wives try out the country life and then leave their husbands to go back to the suburbs. We know that Mrs Rumbold left Cuthbert for another GB guy. We could also find out that Mrs Peacock has had a man on the side for years. Maybe a golf pro, maybe Mr Whatshisname from Sports? Peacock would be devastated by that and could swear off women for a few episodes...

Instead of Miss Whatshername, the clever, conniving secretary who inherits, they could have had a real dumbo who signs bad contracts and frequently jeopardises the business.

Miss Brahms could have had a few flings and Mrs Slocombe could get a second job in the local pub.

And lo and behold, who OWNS the local pub, inherited from his uncle? Mr Lucas!

Last edited by coldtap; 11-29-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 02:00 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Maybe a golf pro, maybe Mr Whatshisname from Sports?
Mr. Walpole

Quote:
Instead of Miss Whatshername, the clever, conniving secretary who inherits
Miss Lovelock

Quote:
We know that Mrs Rumbold left Cuthbert for another GB guy.
Mr. Prentise from Tools and Hardware

Quote:
And lo and behold, who OWNS the local pub, inherited from his uncle? Mr Lucas!
Old 11-30-2017, 05:14 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Good idea! And they wouldn't all have been so depressingly old.
And there was only about 7 years in between the last of AYBS? and when AYBS? Again was made. They did seem to age quite a bit in that time frame.
Old 11-30-2017, 07:59 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow View Post
And there was only about 7 years in between the last of AYBS? and when AYBS? Again was made. They did seem to age quite a bit in that time frame.
Mollie Sugden had bouts of ill-health. I can't explain the others' aging though, except that some people do sort of stay on a plateau for a while then suddenly look 10 years older. Like teenagers who seem to have missed puberty, then they come back from summer holidays six inches taller, with all their grown-up bits. (I'm not being a paedo, I'm casting my mind back to my own youth.)

Peacock and Rumbold didn't change much. Humphries got his paunch.