Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Second Floor: Other British Goodies > Life Outside of AYBS

Life Outside of AYBS Talk about your OTHER favorite Britcoms and British TV shows

Old 09-06-2016, 03:38 PM
I Pissed Off Greg Once :(
Staff Magazine Editor

Default Young Hyacinth - New KUA Origin Episode

Just like with the AYBS remake, was eagerly waiting for this and saw it over the weekend.

When this was announced, I was afraid that if it was set as a costume period piece, I would be disappointed....so it was and I am

The good part first....Kerry Howard (Hyacinth) was wonderful. Had many of the mannerisms and speech patterns down very well. Had a proper Hyacinth-like respect for the aristocracy and willing to ignore or make excuses for their bad behavior.

I also liked the Rose character and the actress playing her (Katie Redford) for the hopping between blokes seeking her favor.

Also liked the Major-like character of Freddie, the boy-toy of the bored Mrs that Hyacinth worked for.

Everything else......was pretty bad IMO.

Didn't like how Daddy was protrayed as a drunk loser (the womanizing part was correct) and how their Mother was made out as a whore.

The Daisy and Violet characters were totally undeveloped.....what I wouldn't have given to seen a young Onslow courting Daisy.

Was surprised to see how lame the script was from Roy Clarke.

Would rather have seen this set against a backdrop of today, a young Hyacinth of rigid old-school morality, in a run-down modern flat featuring a picture of Pricess Diana on her wall working for the nouveau aristocracy of today.

Last edited by Sir Richard Ryan; 09-06-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:11 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Didn't get to see this yet but I figured from the original show that Hyacinth and her sisters weren't brought up in an upper classed household. I can see Daddy being a drunken pervert as well as the mother. The character of Violet was never really developed from the original series. At least not near as well as the other 3. I always suspected Hyacinth had a little more history in her than what they were telling us.
As far as Roy Clark writing a lame script ... the man is 120 by now so his ability had to of slipped somewhere in the past 20 years.
.................................................. .............................
Old 09-07-2016, 05:20 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I'd like to see this.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:08 PM
Rightful Earl of Millstone
Member of the Board

My Mood:

No Richard or Onslow?. I aint watching.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:08 PM
Bathroom Fittings
Bathroom Fittings

My Mood:

I liked it. It definitely has potential if they are going to spin it to a full series.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:01 PM
Staff Magazine Editor

The AYBS remake had an energy Young Hyacinth did not. I kept looking at my watch (a Rolex of course, so Hyacinth would approve) to see when it would be over.

To counter Greg's point, I felt like the Violet character was reasonably well developed even before the actress was hired to play her in the last series.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Staff Magazine Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg WibblyWobbly View Post
Didn't get to see this yet but I figured from the original show that Hyacinth and her sisters weren't brought up in an upper classed household. I can see Daddy being a drunken pervert as well as the mother.
Never saw any indication Daddy was a drinker or a pervert on the original show. Just a womanizer with a failing mind, sad how he was protrayed here

Yes, think it was well understood that they were not wealthy....was surprised by how upscale their residence looked here, next to the water and all. In one episode in the original series, Hyacinth remarked how Daddy was from the area where Daisy and Onslow lived and how it was much nicer then.....so I would have thought they would have lived in tenament town house type housing
Old 09-16-2016, 11:07 AM
Floorwalker Supreme
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to offthefloor Send a message via Yahoo to offthefloor

I havent watched this yet, maybe this weekend I'll get around to it. After the AYBS reboot not sure how much I am looking forward to it.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:38 PM
I've wanted that key all my life
Member of the Board

My Mood:

If I live in the US, how do I see this show?

Some lady says she wants to have me on the carpet
Old 09-20-2016, 05:43 AM
Floorwalker Supreme
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to offthefloor Send a message via Yahoo to offthefloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionic Grainger View Post
If I live in the US, how do I see this show?
its available on youtube..however I think youtube cut the first 2 minutes for some kind of copyright reasons

I have to say, I found it to be rather enjoyable largely because the actress playing the title role carried off the character so beautifully. Its almost like she went to Patricia Routledge and asked "how would you do this scene" and did it. Granted she wasn't the master turn that Patricia is in the part but you could tell she made an honest effort to learn the character.

As for the supporting cast..they were alright. I'm so stuck on the Mary Millar Rose it took me a minute to get over it, but her family was well done. Daddy however...I dunno, that was probably the one disappointment I had with the whole thing. I guess I was expecting something different in the character. It was almost like they just spit up as drunk Onslow and called him daddy..
Old 09-20-2016, 06:18 PM
I've wanted that key all my life
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Thanks Offthefloor................Can't wait to check it out.

Some lady says she wants to have me on the carpet
Old 10-02-2016, 01:47 PM
Party Lover
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to dazzlestar14

I have to admit, I didn't hate it like I thought I would. I think the 4 actresses who played the sisters each did a fine job. They seemed to capture their mannerisms and personalities well. I was hoping we could have met Hyacinth's mummy though, that was a shame.
Overall I was impressed and would love to see more