Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > The Lobby > Customer Service

Customer Service Help desk and suggestion box

Old 08-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

Default Episode Viewing Parties

Yesterday a few of us successfully managed to watch the same string of episodes back-to-back from different locations and live chat about it at the same time. Although we should have been less ambitious about watching a whole DVDs worth (I'll take the rap for that), it went far better than I had planned even with just 3 or 4 of us.

I highly recommend trying it yourself!

Here are a few tips I learned that would make it helpful:

3. Pick a time that is comfortable for you. There are forum members all over the globe. I'm sure you'll find several who will also think it is convenient.

2. Do only an episode or two. I was over ambitious. After the second, I think we were all ready to move on, but didn't want to be the party pooper.

#1!!! Advertize it on the forum ahead of time! Announce it in the Chat Box a few days early at the same time of day or night you want to do it. The Chat Box posts a time next to each post. Just make a little arrow and send the invite:

[09-08, 11:59] <----- "Top Hat & Tails" Viewing Party in 2 days! Right here at that time <-----.

And don't try to do it on a whim at the last second. People need time to organize their day, get the DVD or YouTube link ready, grab a snack, spend a penny first... At minimum you need a day's warning. Most of us don't have the spare time to regroup here in three hours. Some of us are even trying to cut back on our computer addictions -- futile as the attempt may be.

4. Give plenty of reminders. Re-post it daily until the viewing. Also give a 30 minute and a 10 minute warning. This helps you remember you still have to find the right DVD and get past the commercials! The Chat Box updates very quickly, so you can even countdown the final seconds before you all hit play. [Although geeky - it was very helpful to get us to sync up close.]

5. Don't panic if you or someone else is out of sync. It is all in good fun. Commenting about what is coming up or what you saw a few minutes back when the episode gets boring is just fine. Not all of us type or think quickly. You probably are in sync, just not together.

6. Remember: If no one joins you, you still get to watch the episode! So even when it doesn't work, it is still fun.

7. View ChatBox Full -- is a very useful feature! Just above the ChatBox is a little triange. Click on it and it gives you the option of going full screen with the ChatBox. To exit it, just click on the Are You Being Served... and more! icon at the top left of the page.

8. You can't comment too much! You don't have to quote every line, but it is a good opportunity to ask that "Did you all ever notice the Giant Stray Hair coming out of Peacock's head in the office scene coming up?!?

These are just tips. Try it yourself and make your own suggestions, too!
Old 08-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

P.S.: The reason I recommend pointing to the clock time in the ChatBox instead of posting a time like 4:30 GMT or 9pm Pacific is to avoid time zone confusions.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl.er...Capt. Joe View Post
P.S.: The reason I recommend pointing to the clock time in the ChatBox instead of posting a time like 4:30 GMT or 9pm Pacific is to avoid time zone confusions.

The time in the Chat box is set to whatever time each member has set . Scroll down please if you will to the bottom of this page. That's the time you have chosen to use. The time on the chat box is not independent.