Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > Grace Bros. Retirement Home

Grace Bros. Retirement Home Where old salespersons...er, threads come to die. Fully funded by the Grace Bros. Retirement Fund.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 PM
The Junior
The Junior

Default Are You Being Served Down Under aka AYBS Australia

Hi,

I am looking for any help obtaining these episodes and willing to do almost anything short of traveling to Australia's National Archive. Is Anybody able to help? Thanks
Old 04-19-2011, 08:59 PM
.. I'll get used to these country ways.
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbroseus View Post
Hi,

I am looking for any help obtaining these episodes and willing to do almost anything short of traveling to Australia's National Archive. Is Anybody able to help? Thanks
I've watched them on Youtube, but not sure if they are available anywhere else.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbroseus View Post
Hi,

There are other threads here that will tell you the episodes are on You Tube and " Australia's National Archive"

Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Attention, fellow 'servers: There are several episodes of the Austrailian version of AYBS currently featured on YouTube. Now's your chance to watch them. Just go to YouTube and search for Are You Being Served Down Under.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Quick! Hit the Deck!
Upper Middle Management

My Mood:

def. Youtube. in poor quality, but thts it...

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!
Old 12-02-2011, 07:29 PM
Canteen Staff
Canteen Staff

Default Finally got to see the show

I have been dying to see this mythological show since I first learned about it on this forum ages ago. Loving AYBS as I do I was psyched to see anything new in relation to the show, c'mon, John Inman is now the leading character in a whole new AYBS show! Reading this forum at work I discovered the show was on Youtube. Not able to watch this at work I vowed to see it tonight when I got home.

Eagerly sitting down at my pc I dialed up youtube with great anticipation, coffee in hand, eyes glued to the screen. A faint tear forming at the edge my eye....

As I watched the opening credits the tear slowly dried up. My anticipation turned gradually into a bizarre feeling like watching an epic car accident, you just can't look away because it's both fascinating and horrid at the same time. Three quarters of the way through the credits I scald my mouth with burnng hot coffee. Still, I thought, it's only the credits. When I first saw eppy 1 of the original I thought that was weird. Anticipation rises again....

Five minutes in and that tear is re-forming at the corner of my eye. This time from a deep, my-puppy-just-died sadness. It seemed like a poor mans mashup of AYBS scripts and people wearing aybs costumes on the same sets as the original. Timing, production and character depth were nowhere to found. The Mr.Lucas actor has to look at the audience when he says a line. Capt. Wagstaff and the Rumbold guy have all the authority of rent-a-cop. All that being said I am still riveted to the screen.

Can't..stop...watching...

In the end I realized no matter how good it could've been it was already doomed to failure in my mind. No way to measure up to the original. I give them credit, they tried and tried hard.

On the other hand it really was pretty crappy.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
old, tough, leathery, and rejected
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I was so stoked when I saw "AYBS? Bloopers" on You Tube. I clicked and it was AYBS? Down Under and I was like WHAAAAATTTT?? so I quick headed to the Keeping Up Appearances bloopers and Daisy cussing made it all worthwhile!
I think there is ONE blooper from the original show. After reading the AYBS? Book, I know why.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:11 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahkenatan View Post
I have been dying to see this mythological show since I first learned about it on this forum ages ago. Loving AYBS as I do I was psyched to see anything new in relation to the show, c'mon, John Inman is now the leading character in a whole new AYBS show! Reading this forum at work I discovered the show was on Youtube. Not able to watch this at work I vowed to see it tonight when I got home.

Eagerly sitting down at my pc I dialed up youtube with great anticipation, coffee in hand, eyes glued to the screen. A faint tear forming at the edge my eye....

As I watched the opening credits the tear slowly dried up. My anticipation turned gradually into a bizarre feeling like watching an epic car accident, you just can't look away because it's both fascinating and horrid at the same time. Three quarters of the way through the credits I scald my mouth with burnng hot coffee. Still, I thought, it's only the credits. When I first saw eppy 1 of the original I thought that was weird. Anticipation rises again....

Five minutes in and that tear is re-forming at the corner of my eye. This time from a deep, my-puppy-just-died sadness. It seemed like a poor mans mashup of AYBS scripts and people wearing aybs costumes on the same sets as the original. Timing, production and character depth were nowhere to found. The Mr.Lucas actor has to look at the audience when he says a line. Capt. Wagstaff and the Rumbold guy have all the authority of rent-a-cop. All that being said I am still riveted to the screen.

Can't..stop...watching...

In the end I realized no matter how good it could've been it was already doomed to failure in my mind. No way to measure up to the original. I give them credit, they tried and tried hard.

On the other hand it really was pretty crappy.

.................................................. .......................................
Old 12-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I have to agree with much of what ahkenatan said. I enjoy watching the Austrailian version as a novelty, but it doesn't compare to the original British show. The acting certainly leaves a lot to be desired. Their timing is so off! Many of the punch lines are delievered too early, and the Lucas character (as sexy as he is in that ballet practice outfit) just doesn't come across as a seasoned actor. The rent-a-cop analogy hits a home run, IMO.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:14 AM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

what did the head of the store look like? just curious. i am surprised that the late David Croft allowed it to be aired.