Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > Are You Being Served? Again

Are You Being Served? Again Talk about the staff's life at Millstone Manor

Old 05-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajgav View Post
i had another one - it seems that Ms. Brahms and everyone else didn't believe Mr. Humphries when he was helping Mavis cut wood for the furnace so that there would be enough hot water for baths and tea. he should have been more specific saying that he was sawing wood in half. Was Ms. Brahms some kind of sex maniac by that time?
Mr. Humphries was incredulous about the need to cut wood for the boiler at first. Remember he first tried to turn on the hot water by flipping a switch in the kitchen.

I took Ms. Brahms' assumption it being a sexual inuendo because I doubt she would have know the boiler was a wood burner either. And Mr. Humphries sex life was always a topic of speculation.

Because of the verbal sparring between her and Miss Lovelock, most of Ms. Brahms' lines did revolve around sex. I don't think she was obsessed about sex; just bitter.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Nice response Joe.

Old 05-21-2010, 07:06 AM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl.er...Capt. Joe View Post
Mr. Humphries was incredulous about the need to cut wood for the boiler at first. Remember he first tried to turn on the hot water by flipping a switch in the kitchen.

I took Ms. Brahms' assumption it being a sexual inuendo because I doubt she would have know the boiler was a wood burner either. And Mr. Humphries sex life was always a topic of speculation.

Because of the verbal sparring between her and Miss Lovelock, most of Ms. Brahms' lines did revolve around sex. I don't think she was obsessed about sex; just bitter.
thanks i guess your right, i could tell ms. brahms and mrs. slocombe were jealous of miss lovelock when they first saw her come into the lawyers office.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Rightful Earl of Millstone
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Much of the sexual innuendo revolving around Mr Humphries had to do with Mavis' descriptions. What would be a simple explanation to a simple country girl would be taken as sexual innuendo to a "sophisticated" Londoner
Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 PM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

there should have been a better explanation as to why mavis was angry with her ex-boyfriend Malcolm. the way she turned away to ignore him when he entered the kitchen. as for malcolm i would have made him pay for the broken window.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
It's tough at the top. And dry.
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
there should have been a better explanation as to why mavis was angry with her ex-boyfriend Malcolm. the way she turned away to ignore him when he entered the kitchen. as for malcolm i would have made him pay for the broken window.
Maybe she was angry because he stood in the way of her potential relationship with Mr Humphries.

Mollie Sugden - July 21, 1922 - July 1, 2009
Old 05-21-2010, 01:44 PM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

maybe but mr. humphries was too old for her. and besides as he said they were just pals sharing a bed .
Old 05-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

Quote:
I agree. It seemed very much like they once had something going and then she just brushed him off. It was Mavis who stopped going to their note-rock.

I wonder what the proper rock-etiquette is for dumping someone by note-under-rock? Maybe Malcolm was justified in throwing the rock through the window if she failed to keep her end of the note-under-rock conversation up?!? Remember, this was before twitter!

Huh, I think this is the one time I'll have to side with Malcolm!
Old 05-22-2010, 04:30 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl.er...Capt. Joe View Post
I agree. It seemed very much like they once had something going and then she just brushed him off. It was Mavis who stopped going to their note-rock.

I wonder what the proper rock-etiquette is for dumping someone by note-under-rock? Maybe Malcolm was justified in throwing the rock through the window if she failed to keep her end of the note-under-rock conversation up?!? Remember, this was before twitter!

Huh, I think this is the one time I'll have to side with Malcolm!

When it's put like that CJ, it al makes sense.
Love the "before twitter"
.................................................. .............................
Old 05-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Mr Humphries and Mavis once had a discussion about all the things that set Malcolm off: ringing in his ears, bad day on the tractor, raining, too much to drink. Maybe Mavis wanted someone who wasn't such a hot headed thug.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:33 AM
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
i had another one - it seems that Ms. Brahms and everyone else didn't believe Mr. Humphries when he was helping Mavis cut wood for the furnace so that there would be enough hot water for baths and tea. he should have been more specific saying that he was sawing wood in half. Was Ms. Brahms some kind of sex maniac by that time?
I don't think Miss Brahms was a sex maniac. I think if anything she was ambivalent about sex. In AYBS she bragged about how she could get what she wanted from men without giving anything in return ".... but they don't get it." was a frequent refrain of hers. And then there was Mr Humphries' statement in "The Best of Are You Being Served" "...both Mr Lucas and Mr Spooner only wanted one thing, but Miss Brahms wouldn't give it to either of them." She was probably contemptous of those she THOUGHT were giving it away, like Miss Belfridge, Miss Lovelock, and Mavis. But on the other hand, she did try to get friendly with Mr Spooner when he was going to be a Pop Star. And she also had the long term affair with the married man who owned and arcade. Before he got hit by the recession and then by his wife, he was probably well off and bought her goodies. Then there was her comment about not offering what she had unless they had some lolly, and her preference for older men because they had more to offer. One could say that the stakes would have to be pretty high before she was interested. Hardly the views of a sex maniac.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:17 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

So then can we say then that Miss Brahms was a "d**k tease" and a "gold digger".
.................................................. .............................
Old 05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg WibblyWobbly View Post
So then can we say then that Miss Brahms was a "d**k tease" and a "gold digger".
I would say that that would be more acurate.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:46 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Gotta love our Shirley !!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:33 PM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

In the eppy "A Teasling We Will Go" when Humphries is roddin out the pipe and Mr. Moulterd passes and remarks "You have a natural talent for that."
Is Moulterd remarking about the motion that Humphries is making or the fact that
he's bent over with his arse in the air with a rod plunging in and out between his legs ?
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Packing and Maintenance
Packing and Maintenance

I'm gonna go with the second one. I hadn't thought of it that way until you brought it up, but that's how I'm going to interpret it now.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

What would have been funnier is if he kept slapping himself on the arse while saying to himself "you like that huh ??? You like that don't you ?!?!?!"
Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
It's tough at the top. And dry.
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg WibblyWobbly View Post
What would have been funnier is if he kept slapping himself on the arse while saying to himself "you like that huh ??? You like that don't you ?!?!?!"
But it would have been hard to find an innocent explanation for that. Self-cleaning jokes and all that.

Mollie Sugden - July 21, 1922 - July 1, 2009
Old 06-01-2010, 02:25 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood: