Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > AYBS Central

AYBS Central For all things Are You Being Served!

Old 10-13-2016, 05:50 PM
Gramophone Department Manager
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via ICQ to missmacinthorpe Send a message via Yahoo to missmacinthorpe
Default Did AYBS? Ever Jump the Shark?

From Wikipedia:

"Jumping the shark" is an expression that means something may have peaked in value. Historically, it was a pejorative idiom used to describe a moment of television in which there is a gimmick or unlikely occurrence that is seen as a desperate attempt to keep viewers' interest. Therefore, moments labeled as "jumping the shark" are often considered indications that the writers have run out of ideas; that the show has strayed irretrievably from an older and better formula; and/or even that the series as a whole is declining in quality.

Recently in the Video section of a music forum I frequent, the subject of "Jumping the Shark" came up, and one poster mentioned when Trevor Bannister left AYBS as the point when the show jumped the shark. I think the quality started to erode when Arthur Brough passed away and was replaced by several unsuccessful (mostly) characters. What do all of you think?
Old 10-13-2016, 06:04 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

The year with Mr. Tebbs, {in my opinion} had the BEST writing.

The next year with 2 different seniors, the writing was sub-par.

And when they went to only 2 people in the MENS' Department; they were sinking fast.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:46 PM
Night and Day
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Have to agree with the idea AYBS jumped the shark after the Tebbs season. There were a few good later episodes, but the earlier episodes were best. I can watch the DVD's of the first 4 or 5 seasons anytime, but only occasionally watch the last few seasons. Same thing on lots of shows, like M*A*S*H* never really recovered after Henry Blake and Trapper John left the show.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:37 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

When it became the "Slocombe and Humphries Show". When ever eppy was about their entrance. I'd say somewhere between the 5th and 6th series.
"It Pays to Advertise" was the first one that Humphries got a huge push to carry most of the show. Lucas and Grainger were thrown to the sidelines in this one. It wasn't the greatest of shows. Then that was followed up a year later with "By Appointment" and that fell flat.
.................................................. .............................
Old 10-14-2016, 04:44 AM
Two bottles a day
Hardware and DIY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peacock's Carnation View Post
Have to agree with the idea AYBS jumped the shark after the Tebbs season. There were a few good later episodes, but the earlier episodes were best. I can watch the DVD's of the first 4 or 5 seasons anytime, but only occasionally watch the last few seasons. Same thing on lots of shows, like M*A*S*H* never really recovered after Henry Blake and Trapper John left the show.
After they left, M*A*S*H became the Alan Alda ego trip show.
Old 10-14-2016, 06:05 AM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

i think AYBS? jumped the shark after Arthur Brough passed away there was no mention of his character ever again and i think that was wrong.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:23 PM
Mackotexed
Senior Salesperson

I think a lot of people confuse "Jumped the Shark" with "a change that came about over the course of the show that I didn't like".

I always think of a true shark jump as an episode or a moment where you realize the show is never going to be as good as it once was.

The first shark jump for AYBS? that comes to mind is "Memories are Made of This", even though it came well beyond the point where the show's quality had begun to decline. It may not actually be a shark jump, but more of a moment when they really seemed to have hit rock bottom.

Could be the giant bed scene from "Is it Catching?", which kind of shouts out "This is the quality of humor you can expect from here on out. Sorry, everyone."
Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 PM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Old 10-14-2016, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peacock's Carnation View Post
I feel the same way as Captain Peacock.

Old 10-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Legged Tapdancer View Post
I think a lot of people confuse "Jumped the Shark" with "a change that came about over the course of the show that I didn't like".

Bravo! I've wanted to hear someone say this online ever since the interwebz was born.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:41 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-Legged Tapdancer View Post

I always think of a true shark jump as an episode or a moment where you realize the show is never going to be as good as it once was.
Since I feel this was directed at me I guess I have to defend myself.

I'm well aware of what "Jumping the Shark" means. I'm old enough to have been there when Fonzie did it and Garry Marshall coined the phrase. Jumping the Shark is simply when the shows original formula wasn't working good enough for ratings so changes had to be made. Adding a child to the show, changing locations ect.

I still stick to my guns when I say it was the "It Pays To Advertise" era. The show originally revolved around the Lucas character with a heavy slathering of Slocombe and an equal part of each of the other actors on the floor. The show wasn't doing gangbusters in the early years but the Humphries character was popular so he was thrust into the limelight hence changing the formula of the show ie "Jumping the Shark". Now it was primarily the "Slocombe/Humphries Show" with characters like Lucas, Brahms and Grainger really taking a back seat. This continued on over the course of the show till they phased out the Men's Senior completely and Brahms was reduced to a bitchy idiot with a few lines to compliment Slocombe or Humphries. Even when the odd occasion popped up that Peacock or Brahms had an eppy that even remotely made them stand out, the Slocombe and Humphries characters always stood out further.
.................................................. .............................
Old 10-15-2016, 05:35 AM
Floorwalker Supreme
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to offthefloor Send a message via Yahoo to offthefloor

The show jumped the shark after all the following happened

Lucas left to be replaced by the wannabe Spooner
Tebbs left...the grainger years were the best but Tebbs still brought some dignity
YMG Departed and OMG entered. OMG was the cousin Oliver of AYBS
Brahms went from street wise to shrewish bubble head

The later series had their own charm, but comparing them to the beginning it's clear they were a lesser quality...especially when half the episodes were recycled plot ideas or involved some kind of singing.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:39 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefloor View Post
The show jumped the shark after all the following happened

Lucas left to be replaced by the wannabe Spooner
Tebbs left...the grainger years were the best but Tebbs still brought some dignity
YMG Departed and OMG entered. OMG was the cousin Oliver of AYBS
Brahms went from street wise to shrewish bubble head
After ALL those things happened? That practically brings us to the end anyway.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:59 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I don't know I'll play the devils advocate and say that all the series had their own charm. The new actors brought in some good things. Yes we would have liked to see more Grainger and Lucas, but what was done was done. I liked some of the episodes better than some of the earlier ones. One of the earlier ones that fell flat for me was Hand of fate.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:29 PM
Floorwalker Supreme
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to offthefloor Send a message via Yahoo to offthefloor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtap View Post
After ALL those things happened? That practically brings us to the end anyway.
Actually most of those things happened between series 6 and 7...last I checked the show went on a little bit longer than that.
Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefloor View Post
Actually most of those things happened between series 6 and 7...last I checked the show went on a little bit longer than that.
Yes, but you said "all".
Old 10-16-2016, 01:11 PM
I Pissed Off Greg Once :(
Staff Magazine Editor

For me, that moment was losing Lucas, YMG (except one cameo), Goldberg, and Miss Bakewell at one time. The energy just dissappeared all at once.

And it seemed like that moment aged the Miss Brahms character 10 years over night.....as Mr Spooner was considered too young to be a romantic foil though he and Lucas looked very similar in age.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Richard Ryan View Post
For me, that moment was losing Lucas, YMG (except one cameo), Goldberg, and Miss Bakewell at one time. The energy just dissappeared all at once.

And it seemed like that moment aged the Miss Brahms character 10 years over night.....as Mr Spooner was considered too young to be a romantic foil though he and Lucas looked very similar in age.
I'll agree with this. The show just went flat all of a sudden and they had to make Slocombe and Humphries more and more outrageous.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:07 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Tim

Credibility is a key issue, and "Is it Catching" was so whimsical as to be like a bad dream. Now if it had ended as Humphries waking up on the countertop as the store opens, and he were to say "Last time I sleep there!" that would have saved the entire episode!
Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtap View Post
I'll agree with this. The show just went flat all of a sudden and they had to make Slocombe and Humphries more and more outrageous.