Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > AYBS Central

AYBS Central For all things Are You Being Served!

Old 01-14-2018, 01:44 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly
Default Hoorah For the Holidays

Title: Hoorah For the Holidays
Season: 2
Eppy: 5
Year: 1974
Show Run: 11

With the store being closed down for 2 weeks for redecoration, management wants the whole staff to take their vacations at the same time.. at the end of August. The staff isn't happy until Young Mr. Grace agrees to pay for their vacation. That is until they see their choices to go...

Everyone has seen this eppy so let's discuss !!!

.................................................. .............................
Old 01-14-2018, 06:00 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

This one is in the bottom half for me but near the top of the bottom half. While I enjoy the scene in which the staff gather to look at slides, I wish that segment was shorter. Just my personal preference. Anyway, I think there are several good laughs in this episode, and it's one I watch now and then.
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM
Night and Day
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Meh. Like Red I'm neither one way or the other, which is unusual for me
Old 01-15-2018, 01:01 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

I love this eppy, not one of my Top Ten but one I would not fast forward over to get to the next eppy.

Humphries karate scene is the funniest out of the entire series and after 2 decades of watching the show, will always get me to laugh out loud.
.................................................. .............................
Old 01-15-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I enjoy Hurrah For The Holidays. I would place it near the bottom of the top half.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM
formerly marthajgav
Member of the Board

My Mood:

i kind of liked this episode however i can't believe the choices they had. seeing the expression on ms. brahms face said it for me as well.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:04 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stableforth View Post
i kind of liked this episode however i can't believe the choices they had. seeing the expression on ms. brahms face said it for me as well.
So true

Old 01-17-2018, 05:21 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I would have loved to see a movie of them at Mrs Featherstone's. It'd be a really old-fashioned boarding house and there'd be lots of other guests to interact with our staff. For instance, a pair of lesbians on a hiking holiday who Peacock unsuccessfully tries to seduce...
Old 01-17-2018, 07:13 PM
Night and Day
Member of the Board

My Mood:

...maybe Miss Featherstone from the store would have better luck with the hikers.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:24 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks that some of the vacation packages were pretty good. A payed for package to go on vacation..... I don't care if it's the middle of the Sahara I'd take it.. Free flight and hotel even with a a one star review is worth more than they probably could afford on their wages.

I wanted to take my GF on a vacation this year to Aruba. The cheapest I found was just under $800 per person for round trip out of Minneapolis at a 3 star hotel that was one block off the beach. With eating and drinking plus tips It's still an expensive trip. So Mr Graces offer wasn't a bad offer at all.

I liked this episode. To me I think it's more Rumbold trying to be cheap as he says with a grin he has recommended 5 pounds per head, and capt Peacock replies per day! He was going to keep the rest.

Last edited by walleye117; 01-18-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:52 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walleye117 View Post
I don't know if I'm the only one who thinks that some of the vacation packages were pretty good. A payed for package to go on vacation..... I don't care if it's the middle of the Sahara I'd take it.. Free flight and hotel even with a a one star review is worth more than they probably could afford on their wages.

I wanted to take my GF on a vacation this year to Aruba. The cheapest I found was just under $800 per person for round trip out of Minneapolis at a 3 star hotel that was one block off the beach. With eating and drinking plus tips It's still an expensive trip. So Mr Graces offer wasn't a bad offer at all.

I liked this episode. To me I think it's more Rumbold trying to be cheap as he says with a grin he has recommended 5 pounds per head, and capt Peacock replies per day! He was going to keep the rest.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:

Old 01-18-2018, 11:03 AM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

If the internet had been around back then, it would have been interesting to read customer reviews for Grace Air Tours.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Shadow View Post
If the internet had been around back then, it would have been interesting to read customer reviews for Grace Air Tours.
From those who survived.

Why don't you write some, Red?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:

Ohhhh, no. There's a BIG difference between 3 star and 1 star. We're talking dirty sheets, dirty bathroom, a door that doesn't lock anymore and barely stays closed if there's a draught...and it's not likely to be one block from the beach. More like in the next suburb.

Plus you have to remember the type of people they were. Apart from Peacock, they didn't have adventurous minds. They liked what they liked and that was that. Peacock was slightly different. He DID have a general interest in experiences beyond his own, and would be able to find value in almost any kind of holiday in any place, just because it was new and different.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Peacock's Carnation View Post
...maybe Miss Featherstone from the store would have better luck with the hikers.
lol. I thought they might try to get Miss Brahms to go with them for long walks around the district.

Was there any mention of where Mrs Featherstone's was? Was it by the sea, or out in the country?
Old 01-20-2018, 01:19 PM
An aura what is purple with white stripes
Member of the Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldtap View Post
lol. I thought they might try to get Miss Brahms to go with them for long walks around the district.

Was there any mention of where Mrs Featherstone's was? Was it by the sea, or out in the country?
IIRC Mrs. Featherstone's boarding house was in Littlehampton (which is on the English Channel), hence Mr. Grainger's fear of being "blacklisted by the LALA"* if he canceled without giving sufficient notice.

- E.

* Littlehampton Landladies' Association

Last edited by larsen525; 01-20-2018 at 01:21 PM.
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:

Travel Publications used to print letters from readers with complaints and compliments about the Hotels and Restaurants that were featured their magazines. Travel columnists did the same thing. Both still do.

Old 01-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Quote:
Travel Wise: Grace Bro's Tours...

Traveled with several other co workers. One older gentlemen who traveled with us crapped his pants on the plane . Poor ventilation, and had to suffer thru a 3 hour flight. Once we arrived at our destination, Grace Bro's tours lost our luggage. We arrived at our hotel to find that the cockroaches set up camp in our hotel room. None of the staff spoke English so when we tried to order towels for our room we ended up with a bottle of $90 wine charged to our room. If your looking for a cheap holiday this is the place for you, but if you want comfort spend a few pounds and go to the Hilton.
Old 01-21-2018, 01:59 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood: