Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > Are You Being Served? Again

Are You Being Served? Again Talk about the staff's life at Millstone Manor

Old 03-13-2007, 12:22 AM
I am unanimous in that!
Toy Department

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to sueschmitt
Default Petrified Pussy

I loved this episode it was so funny. The bed shaking, the frightened cat, the flying drawers.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:37 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:

GaF is the best brit. sitcom ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AYBS is crap to G&F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrichard View Post
GaF is the best brit. sitcom ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without AYBS? there would be no G&F.

Old 03-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Party Lover
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to dazzlestar14

Excellent point O Sunny One! :wink:
Old 03-15-2007, 07:51 AM
President of the APPP
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via Yahoo to Goldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonosun View Post
Without AYBS? there would be no G&F.
AMEN Bruvver sonosun!!
Old 03-15-2007, 11:56 AM
I am an evil invertebrate!!!
Member of the Board

My Mood:

What?!?!?!
Old 03-15-2007, 12:31 PM
"I'm Ready For My Sardine, Mr. Akbar!"
Grace Brothers' Shareholder

Quote:

We all have our opinions of course, but that's an interesting comment to make in these forums on this fansite. So maybe we'll ask you to expound on your comment. Like David said, without AYBS? there is no G&F. Many people feel "the other way around" about the series' continuation "Grace and Favor". So...let's hear more from you on this. You've opened a Pandora's Box. Step up to the plate.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:34 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles View Post
We all have our opinions of course, but that's an interesting comment to make in these forums on this fansite. So maybe we'll ask you to expound on your comment. Like David said, without AYBS? there is no G&F. Many people feel "the other way around" about the series' continuation "Grace and Favor". So...let's hear more from you on this. You've opened a Pandora's Box. Step up to the plate.
AYBS developed characters that were bigger than the story line of the show. The story line was okay, nothing great, but it did introduce us the the shows personalities. The cast of AYBS honed there acting while doing AYBS, the writers improved. Then G&F! Perfect! People don't like change, but it happens, that's a fact! Retirement is what we are all working for, same with the characters of AYBS! There is just so much to working in a store, where life, living, which includes retirement is so much more. G&F provided this! AYBS was a cartoon compared to G&F!
Old 03-16-2007, 04:53 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Quote:

.................................................. .............................
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 AM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:
Smile Hey Greg

I think Mavis was starting to turn Mr. Humphries on!!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Sporting Goods
Sporting Goods

Quote:
I think Mavis was starting to turn Mr. Humphries on!!

I wish the series wasn't canceled... then we could see what happened with there relationship.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Customer
Customer

This one I have always dreamed of being created:

The Junior Returns

Booked into the manor for the weekend is a wealthy London businessman and his top executives. The staff lines up to greet their guests, and the first person who walks in is no other than Mr. Lucas! Turns out after leaving Grace Bros. he buckeled down and made something of himself. Different story lines include: Miss Brahms finally going after Mr. Lucas because now he has lots of "lolley"; the usual banter between him and Mrs. Slocombe continues; he makes unreasonable and hilarious requests of Mr. Rumbold and Capt. Peacock just to get back for the years of torture and degredation they put him through at Grace Bros,; and the last storyline, Mr. Lucas decides to make a play at Mavis (thinking he could get somewhere since she is a simple country girl). She rejects all of his advances fiercly, always coming back with some innuendo with Mr. Humphries, which leads to him and Mr. Lucas continuing to chatter like they did in the store.

I think something like this could have been hilarious!
Old 03-29-2007, 03:06 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Sounds good.
.................................................. .............................
Old 03-29-2007, 06:36 PM
Pacific Standard Mink
Administrator

My Mood:

Quote:
AYBS developed characters that were bigger than the story line of the show. The story line was okay, nothing great, but it did introduce us the the shows personalities. The cast of AYBS honed there acting while doing AYBS, the writers improved. Then G&F! Perfect! People don't like change, but it happens, that's a fact! Retirement is what we are all working for, same with the characters of AYBS! There is just so much to working in a store, where life, living, which includes retirement is so much more. G&F provided this! AYBS was a cartoon compared to G&F!
I always like to hear the wide range of opinions on the show, and it's always interesting to find people who strongly loved one aspect and hated another. You're definitely in the minority though--most people that I've come across were less fond of G&F than AYBS because they didn't like the change. They preferred the comforting routine of the store and the antics, and to them it was quite a shock to see them get out and about in the "real world". Most of those same people thought the movie blew chunks too. Me personally, I liked seeing the different side of the characters and watching them develop (you're right there--they were more developed in G&F). Would I call it superior to AYBS though? IMO, no...each has its own merits and one is not inferior to the other--I do like AYBS more, but that doesn't mean I dislike G&F

I do have to agree with Tids: you did pick a funny place to post "AYBS is crap". Not that I'll ban you for that opinion, heavens no: if you're willing to share your side of the story, I think it could be a very entertaining and enlightening discussion indeed!

But I had to laugh: saying "AYBS is crap" on a minki.net site is like going to Yankee Stadium and announcing that the Yankees suck: sure, they'll still let you in to watch the game, but boy did you paint a big bulls-eye on your back

Being held prisoner by newborn. Send help! Or send more wine!

Last edited by minki; 03-29-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:57 PM
Sporting Goods
Sporting Goods

Here's an idea: Mr. Rumbold realizes he's getting old. In an effort to make himself "young" he trys to be more "hip". He ends up joining Malcolm's gang, and is persueded into robbing a local shop. The other staff have to get him back to normal.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:10 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by minki View Post

But I had to laugh: saying "AYBS is crap" on a minki.net site is like going to Yankee Stadium and announcing that the Yankees suck: sure, they'll still let you in to watch the game, but boy did you paint a big bulls-eye on your back
Old 03-30-2007, 06:51 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

MMMMM _____ Instead of O'Jug Ears, running the place.

Have Mr. Lucas, running {maybe even owning it} the Inn and being a couple with Miss Lovelock. {or another lady}.

And he, wouldn't have ran the staff-off.

So there would be another 5-6 people at the INN.

More story lines to write with.

Lucas
Old 04-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:
Default Grace & Favor

Quote:
Originally Posted by minki View Post
I always like to hear the wide range of opinions on the show, and it's always interesting to find people who strongly loved one aspect and hated another. You're definitely in the minority though--most people that I've come across were less fond of G&F than AYBS because they didn't like the change. They preferred the comforting routine of the store and the antics, and to them it was quite a shock to see them get out and about in the "real world". Most of those same people thought the movie blew chunks too. Me personally, I liked seeing the different side of the characters and watching them develop (you're right there--they were more developed in G&F). Would I call it superior to AYBS though? IMO, no...each has its own merits and one is not inferior to the other--I do like AYBS more, but that doesn't mean I dislike G&F

I do have to agree with Tids: you did pick a funny place to post "AYBS is crap". Not that I'll ban you for that opinion, heavens no: if you're willing to share your side of the story, I think it could be a very entertaining and enlightening discussion indeed!

Grace & Favor is the best, nothing can hold a candle!!!!!!!!!!

I just bet the actors feel the same way!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Floorwalker Supreme
Member of the Board

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to offthefloor Send a message via Yahoo to offthefloor

one episode i would like to see is a dream crossover with keeping up appearances...

hyacinth and richard come to the quaint little bed and breakfast to relax and soak up a little local culture and hyacinth runs amock at the staff and drives them completely bonkers until mrs. slocombe knocks her out in a rehash on her knocking out mr. franco in the hero
Old 04-02-2007, 02:42 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthefloor View Post
one episode i would like to see is a dream crossover with keeping up appearances...

hyacinth and richard come to the quaint little bed and breakfast to relax and soak up a little local culture and hyacinth runs amock at the staff and drives them completely bonkers until mrs. slocombe knocks her out in a rehash on her knocking out mr. franco in the hero
Sounds great !!!