Are You Being Served...and More!  

Go Back   Are You Being Served...and More! > Main Floor: Are You Being Served? > Are You Being Served? Again

Are You Being Served? Again Talk about the staff's life at Millstone Manor

Old 08-17-2006, 03:15 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

Get it from Netflix to watch.
.................................................. .............................
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 AM
I am unanimous in that!
Toy Department

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to sueschmitt

I liked it eventually. I did buy the DVD so I could complete my collection and the Petrified Pussy episode is classic AYBS? Moulterd was annoying at times. I liked the Mavis/Humphries plot. I would have liked to see that carried on a bit further any one else? But they had to be older because the store had closed down. One wonders tho how old Mr. Grace was? They never said. I mean how long can you work in a department store at the same positions? I liked it tho because I missed the regular show so much. I know the scripts by heart now. I'll still watch them any day.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:52 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Greg WibblyWobbly Send a message via Yahoo to Greg WibblyWobbly

I hated the whole Humphries/Mavis storyline. Just didn't wash with me.

I have one question though. The picture of Young Mr. Grace in the first eppy was a strange one. Whatever happened to the one from AYBS? in the eppy "A Change Is As Good As A Rest". The really good one that was hanging in the Boardroom ????
.................................................. .............................
Old 03-14-2007, 05:33 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg WibblyWobbly View Post
I hated the whole Humphries/Mavis storyline. Just didn't wash with me.

I have one question though. The picture of Young Mr. Grace in the first eppy was a strange one. Whatever happened to the one from AYBS? in the eppy "A Change Is As Good As A Rest". The really good one that was hanging in the Boardroom ????

I loved the Mr. Humphries and Mavis storyline! Worked Perfect! There best ever!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

My Mood:

The best!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

My Mood:

Hated the Marvis/Mr. Humphries storyline (jealous of Mavis, I guess). Thought the addition of Mr. Moulterd added to the zaniness of the show.

I'll have a gin and tonic without too much tonic.
Asseyez-vous...that's French for sit down.

I'm like that, sometimes I'm like this but most of the time I'm like that.
Old 09-28-2008, 05:23 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

They may not have had a sexual chemistry - but they were happy! I loved the Humphries/Mavis storyline because they both shared an innocence/optimism in their personalities. They were kindred spirits.

The only part of their storyline that didn't work was when Malcolm Heathcliff came along. If Humphries wasn't going to be interested, as a friend, he should have helped Mavis move on to someone else. Not Malcolm Heathcliff-- but someone else. Unfortunately, Mavis never seemed to get over her crush on Mr. Humphries during the series.

In my mind, I always imagine that in a series 3 they would have hired another farm hand to help due to Mr. Moulterd's age, and Mavis would have gotten serious with him.

Mr. Humphries always seemed to be able to emotionally move on quickly without any harm. Perhaps Miss Lovelock hires a stableboy for her stallion and...

Last edited by cpl.er...Capt. Joe; 09-28-2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-29-2008, 02:33 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

I think Humphries stuck in there with because he wanted Malcolm.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

I watched series 1 for the first time last night and noticed Wendy really hadn't changed at all since the last episode of Are You being Served? Also, there were many scenes with much laughter.

One that has stuck in my head is when Miss Brahms has to go out and get more milk and she says:

"What am I supposed to do? Go out there, corner it and get a squirt?"
Old 03-09-2009, 02:21 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamclark83 View Post
I watched series 1 for the first time last night and noticed Wendy really hadn't changed at all since the last episode of Are You being Served? Also, there were many scenes with much laughter.

One that has stuck in my head is when Miss Brahms has to go out and get more milk and she says:

"What am I supposed to do? Go out there, corner it and get a squirt?"
I love that one !!
Old 03-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Clunk Click Strip Off Quick
Canteen Staff

My Mood:

I also own the comeplete G&F series on dvd. I think that given a third series (season) this show could have really took off. I mean, it is difficult to judge a program on 12 episodes. There were some things I liked more and some less about G&F. I really wonder if it would have been more popular if Mr. Lucas would have been there and if so how would they have explained his abscence from AYBS? Just some thoughts.
Old 03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

I actually loved it. I think it was just as funny as the original show. I kept thinking how much fun they had to be working together again. You really felt the sense of familiarity with them

Quote:
They may not have had a sexual chemistry - but they were happy!
I love that scene

Mavis: "________ran of with the blacksmith"
Humphries: "I bet SHE was happy!"

I have never minded the Mr Humphries/Mavis storyline because nothing happened. I know there was talk about them getting married if the show had another season, but since it never happened, it wasn't canon.

Quote:
Perhaps Miss Lovelock hires a stableboy for her stallion and...
You guys just crack me up!

One of the highlights was the dance they did in the 1st season finale. That had me laughing to tears

The first time I watched the show I didn't like Mr. Moulterd, but when I had seen the episodes a few times, I warmed up to him. Now I love him, hehe. "No, you can't do THAAAAAT!"

Another little thing I just adore is how Mr Humphries says his name with proud in the trial episode. "Wilberforce Clayborne Humphries" and the pleased look on his face. That's right, he should be proud, it sure is a rare name alright
Mr Humphries: "You know, I was clearing out our attic at home the other day and I found this old calender called "The week of love". It said "Monday for meeting, Tuesday for talking, Wednesday for wishing, Thursday for touching, Friday".....for some reason it'd been torned out..."
Old 03-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

I love G&F, too. Occasionally there are a couple of scenes that make my skin crawl (the whole Mongolian guest/language jokes), but all in all I thought it had great potential. Too bad they didn't start it sooner. Then they might have pulled a bigger audience that actually remembered AYBS?.

Last edited by cpl.er...Capt. Joe; 03-10-2009 at 06:54 PM. Reason: additional images
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

Quote:
Occasionally there are a couple of scenes that make my skin crawl (the whole Mongolian guest/language jokes)
Wow, I was actually on the floor laughing at that

"Consider it dropteth!"

"It falls as the gentle rain from heaven"
*The translater translates it and everyone take up their umbrellas"

Mr Humphries: "You know, I was clearing out our attic at home the other day and I found this old calender called "The week of love". It said "Monday for meeting, Tuesday for talking, Wednesday for wishing, Thursday for touching, Friday".....for some reason it'd been torned out..."
Old 03-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

Plus, Wendy was given a lot of lines that made people laugh quite hard. Like, when she is in chrage of the bar and she says "Right, I'm in charge of the bar. You're banned" (to Miss Lovelock).
Old 03-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Hardware and DIY
Hardware and DIY

OMG, yes, I love that part. The girl kicks ass there, hehe

I also love Miss Brahms and Mr Humphries conversation in the church if Mavis ever...put any....demands...*wink wink* on him

lol

Last edited by sanna_o75; 03-10-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:32 AM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaChad View Post
I also own the comeplete G&F series on dvd. I think that given a third series (season) this show could have really took off. I mean, it is difficult to judge a program on 12 episodes. There were some things I liked more and some less about G&F. I really wonder if it would have been more popular if Mr. Lucas would have been there and if so how would they have explained his abscence from AYBS? Just some thoughts.
Croft and Lloyd blame that fact that some gollywog was in charge of the Beeb's comedy department at the time and this gollywog wasn't too impressed by "Grace and Favour". It did OK in the ratings.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

I wish Miss Lovelock did have a young stable boy... who then went after Miss Brahms. It would have made both Miss Lovelock and Mr. Humphries jealous. I think it could have lent itself to a few funny episodes.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Member of the Board
Member of the Board

It also would have been hilarious if Mr. Lucas just walked into Millstone Manor one day and said, "I'm very sorry I'm late, Captain Peacock, but I went to party several years ago with Mr. Humphries, got drunk, fell aspleep, and Mr. Humphries lost me in a poker game to the captain of a Japanese fishing boat. By the time I woke up we were on the high seas! After months at see we unloaded our catch of yellowfin tuna, I booked passage to China, walked the length of the Great Wall, hiked across the Gobi desert, smuggled myself through the Russian black market to Finland. Then I cross-country skied through the mountains to Sweden, was held hostage by four farmer's daughters, was pressed into the Swede Navy by their father, and jumped ship off the coast of Scotland. After I knitted a new tweed suit straight from the wool off the back of a herd of highland sheep, I then thumbed my way to Millstone Manor, and just now arrived.

"Now, which room is mine?"
Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Lord of all in Serverdom
Super Moderator

My Mood:

ROTFLMAO !!!