PDA

View Full Version : Where was Grace Bros?

blakey
05-08-2009, 02:15 AM
We know in London, but where in London.
Can the fake store location be found through clues?

So far, I have heard its on the high road, and you can see the Post office tower out the window in friends and neighbours, so perhaps holborn high road?

Sienna
05-08-2009, 02:18 AM
Very good question blakey. I heard them say it was on the High Street. Then I was planning to go to London and I wanted to visit the place where it was supposed to be - only to find out that London has NO street officially called High Street. So I assumed it was Oxford Street or something.

Lady Stableforth
05-08-2009, 05:14 AM
Captain Peacock mentioned in the episode By Appointment that the royal couple would be walking along Fair Street? imaybe that is the street where grace bros. was? just guessing...

larsen525
05-08-2009, 05:54 AM
I heard it as "Thayer Street" - and there is a Thayer Street in London, in the West End, north of Oxford Street.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=528376&y=181453&z=110&sv=Thayer+Street&st=6&tl=Map+of+Thayer+Street,+London,+W_1A&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

A very plausible location, as Oxford Street is well known as a shopping destination - but Old Mr. Grace (or his predecessor) would've been too cheap to pay the rent on Oxford Street proper.

- Erik

Fun Time Freddy
05-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Captain Peacock mentioned in the episode By Appointment that the royal couple would be walking along Fair Street? imaybe that is the street where grace bros. was? just guessing...
I wonder: are the names of other retail shops mentioned in the show real or fiction?

Lady Stableforth
05-08-2009, 05:40 PM
i only know one that is real - Austin Reed, Captain Peacock mentioned it in the old order changes - it is on Regent Street

Dean
05-08-2009, 06:40 PM
it is located in all of our hearts.... ;)

sonosun
05-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I wonder: are the names of other retail shops mentioned in the show real or fiction?

There are several threads in Brit Wit dealing with real London Stores.:)

Sienna
05-09-2009, 03:14 AM
it is located in all of our hearts.... ;)

:slochead: Truly well said and I am unanimous in that.

Greg WibblyWobbly
05-09-2009, 04:34 AM

As Sonosun said Austin Reed's is real.
Harrods, Derry and Thoms, Lally and Willits were all mention a few times.

larsen525
05-09-2009, 05:52 AM
As Sonosun said Austin Reed's is real.
Harrods, Derry and Thoms, Lally and Willits were all mention a few times.

"Lally and Willets" is fictional - and in fact, is another use of Polari (or Palari) in AYBS. In Polari, "lallies" means legs, and "willets" means breasts.

www.chris-d.net/polari/ (http://www.chris-d.net/polari/)

- Erik

larsen525
05-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Another real store mentioned (by Miss Brahms): Lillywhite's.

- Erik

blakey
05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Is selfridges mentioned at any time?

Greg WibblyWobbly
05-09-2009, 06:59 PM
"Lally and Willets" is fictional - and in fact, is another use of Polari (or Palari) in AYBS. In Polari, "lallies" means legs, and "willets" means breasts.

- Erik

Wow, I never knew that. Thanks for the info Erik. :thumbup:

Greg WibblyWobbly
05-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Another real store mentioned (by Miss Brahms): Lillywhite's.

- Erik

For the longest time when Miss Brahms said about the only ones that could hear us would be someone very tall from Lillywhites." I was thinking she messed up and meant to say "Lillyput" as in Gulliver (being so tall). :lol:

sonosun
05-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Is selfridges mentioned at any time?

Not exactly,but Miss Belfridge's name came from it. Jeremy Lloyd worked there for a time.

Sienna
05-10-2009, 04:30 AM

- Erik

Oh, that was very interesting! I never knew about that slang. Now finally I understand this, from The Old Order Changes:
"Strides for the omi with the naff riah!"

Never thought it would be something as simple as 'Trousers for the man with the bad hair' ... :lol:

Melchett
05-11-2009, 08:35 AM
Oh, that was very interesting! I never knew about that slang. Now finally I understand this, from The Old Order Changes:
"Strides for the omi with the naff riah!"

Never thought it would be something as simple as 'Trousers for the man with the bad hair' ... :lol:

Brilliant! You've both done very well! I found that list very interesting!

inside_leg
09-16-2010, 05:56 AM

- Erik

So THAT'S why the audience would laugh simply at the mention of the store's name! I had always wonder why the audience would snicker at this, before a punch line had even been given.

It's things like this that make AYBS? so timeless for those of us west of the Atlantic. Always finding out new things to help us enjoy the show in new ways!

Red Shadow
09-16-2010, 10:21 AM
At one point in "The Hold Up," we can hear a large bell chiming the hour. If this is supposed to be Big Ben, then the store must be within a few blocks of it. However, I don't know that there are major department stores in that part of town, so it might not have been Big Ben after all.

BasilBJr
09-16-2010, 07:17 PM
At one point in "The Hold Up," we can hear a large bell chiming the hour. If this is supposed to be Big Ben, then the store must be within a few blocks of it. However, I don't know that there are major department stores in that part of town, so it might not have been Big Ben after all.

I think Big Ben is loud enough to be heard over most, if not all of London. If I had to make a guess, I would say that GB was in the West End (as opposed to the East End) of London. Isn't that the business area of London?

Red Shadow
09-17-2010, 10:28 AM
From "Friends and Neighbours," we know that the store is next to an Indian restaurant. That should be easy to find. :duck:

larsen525
09-17-2010, 04:24 PM
From "Friends and Neighbours," we know that the store is next to an Indian restaurant. That should be easy to find. :duck:

Oh yeah, there aren't more than one or two of those in London. ;)

- E.

cpl.er...Capt. Joe
09-17-2010, 07:38 PM
In the This Is Your Life episode ("Founder's Day"??), during the slide show, didn't they show a building that was supposed to be Grace Brothers'? What building was that?

cpl.er...Capt. Joe
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
Sorry, I just ran through it again and didn't see it. I wonder what I was thinking about?

Red Shadow
09-18-2010, 11:14 AM
Sorry, I just ran through it again and didn't see it. I wonder what I was thinking about?

You might be thinking of the time Captain Peacock was reading the store magazine, and it featured a swimsuit picture of Miss Belfridge announcing she was Mr. Rumbold's new secretary. On the front cover of that magazine was a picture of a large building, presumably the store. I think it was in "Monkey Business."

cpl.er...Capt. Joe
09-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Thanks! I knew I saw one somewhere! And that picture of Miss Belfridge explains my confusion! :lol:

cpl.er...Capt. Joe
09-18-2010, 05:53 PM
The photo's in "Sweet Smell of Success" - Miss Belfridge & Spooner's first episode. Half way through, minute 14, you get the best view of the cover as Mr. Humphries smells the perfume from the jug.

Greg WibblyWobbly
09-19-2010, 05:55 AM
http://lordgreg.minki.net/staffmag.jpg

British_Fan
10-10-2010, 10:25 AM
I would say that GB is located in Marylebone High Street.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Marylebone+High+Street,+Paddington,+London&sll=51.517175,-0.150402&sspn=0.001659,0.004823&gl=uk&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Marylebone+High+St,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.520493,-0.149796&spn=0.006636,0.01929&t=h&z=16

Mr Humphries says the Night Club is located 'in the Hi-i-i-i-gh Street', whilst in By Appointment a royal walkabout in Thayer Street would take the couple right past the main entrance.